Publications and Datasets
2. Explorations in Governance (pdf) A collection of papers in honour of Christopher Hood, edited by Ruth Dixon and Martin Lodge. March 2012.
3. Blogpost on Politics InSpires by Ruth Dixon and Christopher Hood on finding out how much the civil service paybill costs. "Cutting the costs of bureaucracy: are we nearly there yet and how would we know?"
4. Christopher Hood and Ruth Dixon's paper 'A Model of Cost Cutting in Government: the Great Management Revolution in UK Central Government Reconsidered’ (open access) was published online in October 2012 and in print in March 2013 (Public Administration, 91(1) 114-134). We have written a 4-page summary, posts on RD's blog and on the LSE Politics and Policy blog, as well as an article in the online Guardian.
5. An article about uncertainties and unintended consequences of university rankings by Ruth Dixon and Christopher Hood, Ranking for Success: a No-brainer? Oxford Magazine, Noughth Week, Michaelmas Term 2012. RD's related blog post explores 'reactivity' towards rankings.
6. Reclassification Changes in PESA. An Excel spreadsheet showing how we calculated the running costs graphs in Hood and Dixon 2012.
7. Applications for Judicial Review. An Excel spreadsheet showing how applications for Judicial Review have changed since 1970. Graph featured on the Guardian Data Blog and UK Human Rights Blog 19 Nov 2012. See graph here: http://twitpic.com/bek726. The Today Programme on BBC Radio 4 also referred to this dataset (without attribution!) on 15 Dec 2012 at 8:10 and 8:50 am.
8. A Lever for Improvement or a Magnet for Blame? Press and Political Responses to International Educational Rankings in Four EU Countries. New paper by Ruth Dixon, Christiane Arndt, Manuel Mullers, Jarmo Vakkuri, Kristiina Engblom-Pelkkala, and Christopher Hood published in Public Administration online. Open access preprint here.